Writing for an online audience can be tricky. When adjusting from traditional forms of writing to content creation and blogging, there are quite a few new rules to follow and goals to aim for. Below, find a list of ten important tips to ensure you are creating readable, interesting content. Many of these were inspired by information from Hubspot Academy’s course on Business Blogging.
- Don’t forget about the title. Keep it short and strong. Make sure to draw in your reader with a promise or interesting premise.
2. Answer questions. Write content that educates your audience on their interests and helps improve their skills. This way, people will come to your content on their own.
3. Don’t write about your own life, write with your audience and industry in mind. Make sure your article will be about something your audience is truly going to care about or need to improve a certain skill.
4. Small sentences and paragraphs. Don’t confuse your audience with lengthy information.
5. Don’t try to sound smarter than you are. Use words you’re comfortable with, not unnecessary jargon and heightened vocabulary. Contractions are okay!
6. Write conversationally. Utilize humor and personality to draw your reader in and create and connection.
7. Write your introduction and conclusion last. Make sure that you have structured your main ideas before perfecting your piece.
8. Make sure to have a catchy introduction that draws in your reader with a funny anecdote or compelling promise.
9. Use strong language. No passive voice, speak directly to your reader.
10. Scissors> Pen. Edit closely to ensure that your main idea remains the focus. Don’t include any unnecessary words or information.
What other rules do you follow when writing or creating other online content? Let me know in the comments.